The VLC media player is one of the most popular and beloved media players of all time. It has a myriad of features and supports almost every media format. Personally, I’m a huge fan of this application and so are a lot of people. If you just switched from a Windows PC to a Mac, then you may be wondering whether there’s VLC for Mac. This article will help you clear all of your doubts.
In this article, we are going to take a look at the availability of VLC for Mac, what the requirements of installation are and we are also going to give you a rundown of its features. We will also list out a few alternatives at the end. Let’s begin.
Can You Get VLC for Mac?
VLC is an open-source media player and it has cross-platform support. It is compatible with all platforms including macOS. You can easily install it on a Mac. All you have to do is follow these simple set of instructions:
- Download VLC for Mac from the official website. Alternatively, you can click on this link too.
- Click Download VLC. The file size is 48 MB so it shouldn’t take a lot of time.
- Open the file after the download gets completed. macOS will verify the file.
- After verification, click and drag the VLC icon to the Applications folder.
- Open the VLC media player and grant the required permissions.
Download VLC for Mac
There are a couple of requirements that you have to keep in mind if you want to get VLC for Mac.
- VLC Media Player only runs on Mac OSX 10.7.5 or newer devices.
- It has to be a 64-bit Intel-based Mac.
If you have 32-bit Intel processors or devices with older software, then download VLC from the links given below.
- For Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, use VLC 2.2.8.
- For Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, use VLC 2.0.10.
- If you have Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, use VLC 0.9.10. You also need QuickTime 6.5.2 or later.
- For Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar, use VLC 0.8.4a.
- For Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah and 10.1 Puma, use VLC 0.7.0.
Why Should You Choose VLC?
The answer is simple. I think that VLC is one of the best media players out there. Its main features are:
- It supports almost every media format there is – All the supported media formats can be seen in the image given below. It also supports input media formats like UDP/RTP Unicast and other miscellaneous formats such as SAP/SDP announces, Bonjour protocol.
- Like I mentioned earlier, there are a ton of features in this app. You can slow down or speed up audio, sync audio tracks and subtitles if they are causing issues, and change the aspect ratio, among other things. It also has a built-in screen recorder. You can even download a subtitle track from the app.
- VLC is open-source and ad-free- You can enjoy the full features of VLC for free. The developers don’t even include ads on this application. However, you can support the developers via donations.
- It’s secure – There is no spyware, user-tracking or anything of that sort on this application.
- Cross-platform support – It’s supported by almost every major platform out there. You can run VLC on Android, Windows, Mac, iOS, and Linux.
- Skin customization – VLC provides a WYSIWYG skin editor that can be used to customize your player. You don’t have to understand XML for this and you can add your own images too. This editor will also show you a preview of the customizations and you can check out the editor here.
VLC Alternatives for Macbook
VLC has the reputation of being the jack of all trades. While it is true that VLC is one of the best media players out there, there are a few other apps that can do a few things better.
IINA has gotten a lot of attention recently. It’s fairly new, but it offers better performance compared to VLC. It also has a nice UI and you can add browser plugins that will let you watch YouTube without issues. It also offers extra keyboard controls and a nice equalizer.
You can download it for free on the Mac. You can check it pout using this link.
MPV is another media player that offers improved keyboard controls and you can even configure them. You also get browser support that can stream video from websites.
MPV is a solid media player that is available for Mac for free. You can download it by clicking on this link.
That’s all you need to know about VLC for Mac. I hope that you found this article helpful and you are now enjoying your videos on VLC. If you have any doubts or if I missed your favorite media player, let me know in the comments section down below.