In my opinion, AirDrop is one of the best things that Apple has ever made. It makes sharing pictures, videos, and other files between iPhones, Macs, iPods, and iPads extremely simple. This feature isn’t available on any of the major platforms like Windows and Android. If you are new to macOS and if you don’t even know how to turn on AirDrop on Mac, then don’t worry. By the end of this article, I guarantee that you will be able to make full use of this useful feature.
Today we are going to discuss the pros and cons of AirDrop. We are also going to discuss how to turn on AirDrop on a Mac and the steps involved in sending and receiving files. Ready? Let’s get started.
What is AirDrop?
AirDrop is a feature that was launched in 2011 by Apple. It lets users wirelessly share files between devices that belong to the Apple ecosystem. You can use it to share files of any size and it offers a lot of convenience over physical cables. AirDrop needs Bluetooth and WiFi to function properly. The files that are shared are encrypted and protected from prying eyes. However, since it needs WiFi and Bluetooth to function, AirDrop can only share files with nearby devices.
How to Turn on AirDrop on Mac?
Here are full steps to turn on and use Airdrop on Macbook.
Since it is such a useful and essential feature to the Apple ecosystem, turning on AirDrop is extremely simple. Just follow these steps:
- Click Go on the Menu bar.
- Select AirDrop from the dropdown menu.
- You need to turn on Bluetooth and WiFi for AirDrop to function. If they are not turned on, you will be asked to turn it on.
- You can make your Mac discoverable to everyone near you or just your contacts.
- Other AirDrop users will pop up on the AirDrop Window.
How to Send Files Using AirDrop on Macbook?
There are three methods that you can use to send files to another device using AirDrop.
1. Using the Shortcut Menu
- Open Finder.
- Control-click on the file that you want to share (press Control and click).
- Select Share and then select AirDrop.
- Choose the recipient of the file.
2. Using AirDrop Window
- Open Finder.
- Click on AirDrop from the sidebar.
- Drag the file that you want to send to one of the recipients.
- Some apps have the share button at the top. For example, in Finder, simply click on the file that you want to send and click the share button.
- Select AirDrop.
- Select the recipient of the file.
How to Receive Files Using AirDrop on Mac?
If someone wants to send you something, you have to give them permission. You will get an AirDrop request. You can either accept or decline the file. The file will be transferred quickly and it will be saved in the Downloads folder.
What to Do If Airdrop Doesn’t Work on Mac?
AirDrop can run into problems from time to time. If you can’t send files over AirDrop anymore, then follow the instructions below:
- Make sure that your Mac is recoverable. In the AirDrop Window, you can change the visibility. Set it to “Everyone” or “Contacts Only”. Both the sender and receiver have to be signed in to iCloud.
- Make sure that the devices are nearby.
- Turn on Bluetooth and WiFi on both the sender and the receiver.
Now, I’m sure you know everything about turning on and using AirDrop on the Mac. I hope that you found this article helpful and you can now share files between devices without hassle. If you have any doubts or suggestions, please let me know in the comments section down below and I will get back to you as soon as possible.