The iPhone has one of the best camera systems among smartphones. Taking photos and videos of family, friends, and pets is a joy on this phone. If you want to know how to transfer photos from iPhone to your computer, then you have come to the right place. Backing up photos to a computer is important because it can free up a lot of phone storage.
In this article, we are going to take a look at the different methods you can use to transfer photos from iPhone to Mac or a PC. The steps are extremely simple and shouldn’t pose any issues. Let’s get started.
Transferring Photos From iPhone To Mac
Since Apple has its own ecosystem, transferring files between its devices is extremely simple. There are multiple methods you can use to transfer photos and you can choose the most convenient method.
1. Using AirDrop
AirDrop is the easiest way to transfer photos from an iPhone to Mac. Just make sure that your iPhone and Mac are connected to the same network. To transfer photos, just follow these simple instructions:
- Open Photos app on your iPhone.
- Select the photos that you want to send.
- Tap on the share button.
- Select the AirDrop device.
- You’ll get an AirDrop Notification on the Mac. Click Accept to download it.
- You will be able to find the photo(s) in the download folder.
2. Using the Photos App on Your Mac
The Apple ecosystem makes the transfer of photos seamless across multiple connected devices. You can easily import the photos from your iPhone using the photos app. Just make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
- Connect your iPhone to the Mac using a lightning cable.
- This should immediately launch the Photos app. If the app doesn’t launch itself, then you will have to do it manually. If prompted, unlock your iPhone and tap Trust this computer.
- You should see an import page that will show you all of your photos. If this doesn’t happen, simply click on the import button. Alternatively, you can also click on the device’s name in the sidebar.
- Select the images you want to import and then click the Import Selected button on top. You can also click the Import All New Items button to import everything.
- You can find the images in your Import album or Last Import album.
3. Using iCloud
iCloud does an amazing job of syncing files between all of your devices and all you need is an iCloud account. Before you try this method, just make sure that you are using the same iCloud account on your Mac and iPhone.
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap on your name.
- Tap on iCloud and then tap Photos.
- Turn on iCloud Photos.
- Next, open up System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- Click on iCloud and then click on Options next to Photos.
- Select iCloud Photos.
The photos will be synced and updated across your Mac and iPhone.
How to Transfer Photos From iPhone To Windows PC?
You’d think that you need the iTunes app for Windows to make this happen, but that’s not the case. This is fortunate since iTunes runs horribly on a PC. You can’t send other types of files this way, but you can definitely transfer photos and videos.
Remember that your PC would need a third party image viewer to view the photos stored in HEIC format. To avoid this, just open up Setting> Photos on your iPhone and check Automatic under Transfer To Mac Or PC heading.
1. Using the Photos App
Windows recognizes iTunes as a camera and it will let you import videos and photos with a single click.
- Connect your iPhone to a PC via a lightning cable.
- If prompted, unlock the iPhone and tap Trust this computer.
- On your PC, you will see a Select what happens with this device prompt. Click it and then click on Import Photos and Videos. If you don’t see that prompt, simply open up the Photos app on your PC and click import.
- Select the items that you want to import and then click Continue.
- In the Start Importing? pop-up, you can choose to change the import location or delete it from your iPhone. Then, simply hit Import.
- You will be able to see the photos in the Collections Album.
2. Using the File Explorer
You can access the DCIM folder of the iPhone in Windows. The DCIM folder contains your photos and videos. To transfer them to your PC, just follow these simple instructions
- Connect the iPhone to the PC using a lightning cable.
- Grant the computer access to the iPhone’s photos and videos.
- If you get a Select what happens with this device pop up, choose Open Device to View Files. Alternatively, you can find your iPhone in This PC or My Computer.
- Open the DCIM folder. Here, you will see 100APPLE, 101Apple, 102APPLE and so on. These folders will have your photos and videos.
- Copy the pictures or the folders to another folder on the PC. If you want to remove the backed up photos, simply move it to another location on the PC.
3. Using Google Drive
I’m using Google Drive as an example here, but you can use any cloud services that you like. The steps are pretty similar. However, don’t use iCloud since iCloud performance is poor on a PC.
- Download Google Drive from the App Store. This link will take you there.
- Login to your Google account from the app. You can create an account here too.
- Tap the + icon to select and upload pictures.
- You can automatically backup your Photos folder by going into Settings>Photos>Auto Backup. You can choose to back them up with high quality or original quality. Drive allows you to upload an unlimited amount of high-quality photos. The original option will take up the free 15GB Drive storage.
- You can access these from drive.google.com.
If you wanted to know how to transfer photos from iPhone to a Mac computer, then this article is all you need and I hope that this has helped you backup your photos to your Mac or PC.
If you have any doubts or suggestions, please let me know in the comments section down below.