Safe Mode is the diagnostic mode of macOS. If your Mac has some issue then starting your Mac in safe mode is a great way for troubleshooting. Safe mode is designed to fix the various problem which we usually face while using Mac. Whenever we start Mac in safe mode, it prevents our Mac to load some startup items only essential software gets loaded. Safe mode is the recommended way to diagnose such a type of problem that cannot be fixed in any other way. This is also known as safe boot. Some people asked what happens during a safe boot? Following activities take palace during safe boot:-
- Loads only essential software that is required to run your computer.
- All the fonts except those which are located at system/library/ font. That means all the third party fonts got disabled.
- All cache files stored on your computer will be moved to trash.
How to Boot Macbook in Safe Mode?
In this article, we are set to discuss how to start Mac in safe mode and fix underlying problems.
1. Easiest Way To Start Safe Mode on Mac
- Turn Off Your Mac.
- Turn On your Mac immediately and hold the shift key.
- Keep holding the shift key until the login screen doesn’t appear.
- Now login to your Mac.
- Finally, your Mac is in safe mode.
After following the above-discussed steps, the issues you’re facing with your Mac go away. Now restart your computer normally.
2. Start Safe Mode From Command Prompt:-
If you having a problem booting your Mac in safe mode then you can start safe mode using the command prompt. Here is how to do this:-
- Go to the Application Folder.
- Open the Utilities folder and start the command prompt.
- Now enter sudo nvram boot-args=”-x” in command prompt.
- Close the command prompt and restart your Mac in safe mode.
Working In Safe Mode on Mac
When your pc is running in safe mode. You’ll notice slower performance in comparison to normal mode. I have said earlier that safe mode is normally used to troubleshoot glitches that we noticed while working on our Mac computer. Such as lagging, crashing or unexpected closure of applications. You need to use your pc normally as you do so you can check whether your issue got solved or not. Some of the features aren’t available during safe modes such as third-party fonts, Audio in/out devices and the DVD player.
Simply fix the error you’re facing and get back to normal mode. Safe mode can also be used to reinstall the current version of macOS by using combo update. Combo update updates the system files that are missing or corrupted. So you can use your Mac without facing any kind of error. You can manually remove the buggy apps that affect your system’s performance. To do this:-
- Go to Apple Menu.
- Choose System preferences.
- Click on User and Group Icon.
- Now choose your username and click on login items.
- Now remove the items which affect your system performance.
How to Check Your Mac Is In Safe Mode Or Not:-
When Your computer is in the safe mode, your computer will appear the same. So that can create confusion that your Mac is in safe mode or not. There are two ways to check that your computer is in safe mode or not let’s talk about them:-
- You will see a safe mode written in red color in the main menu.
- By using system information, you can also check whether your pc is on safe mode or not. To do this simply press and hold the option key and choose Apple menu>System information, this path will launch the system information app.
- Choose a software option.
- And check the boot mode section, then if it says “safe”. Then your computer is in safe mode.
How to Exit From Safe Mode on Mac?
Once you have completed the troubleshooting, and want to use your Mac again in normal mode. Simply restart your Mac. Then it should start as normal. And keep some patience during rebooting. Because it may take a little longer in comparison to normal shut down.
Many Mac users reported that their Mac automatically enters the safe mode without pressing any key. This happens due to various reasons one of them is, that your Mac detects some issue and thinks it needs repairing in safe mode. If your Mac enters in safe mode only once then it’s great. Because your Mac has solved the issue before it affects your computer.
If your mac is continually starting in safe mode. then you can use recovery mode. Just press Command+ R at startup time. Recovery mode utility will check for issues. If this method doesn’t work then please check your keyboard is clean and make sure your shift key is not stuck.
Safe mode also has some limitations. Still, users are not able to locate software-related issues in safe mode. If you start Mac in safe mode. then it can help you to check problem-related to disk. Safe mode is an amazing boot option to enter into an operating system without any harm.
I hope this article helps you to troubleshoot your Mac using safe mode. if you have any feedback then please share with us using the comment section. Cheers!