Group texting is a pretty great feature. It lets you share your thoughts, pictures, and videos with your friends and family. Want to invite a group of friends for dinner? Group texts will help you invite everyone at once and you won’t have to message them individually, which can be a chore if your guest lists tend to be huge. If you want to know how to create a group text on an iPhone, then you have come to the right place.
In this article, we are going to take a look at how to create a group text on the iPhone, the types of group texts on an iPhone(yes, there are multiple types) and how to name the group. Also, we have instructions on how to add or remove a person from the group. Let’s get started.
How to Create a Group Text on an iPhone
You have to follow a few steps to create a group text on an iPhone. They’re pretty simple and you should have no issues with it.
- Go to Settings and tap on “Messages”.
- Toggle the “Group Messaging” option.
- Open your Messages app and hit the New Message icon on the top right corner of your screen.
- Add multiple contacts by tapping on the plus icon in the To field.
- Just type in your message in the message field and send it by tapping on the upper arrow icon.
Now how these messages show up, depends completely on the recipients of the message. We will discuss that below:
Types of Group Texts
Now that you know how to create a group text on an iPhone, let’s discuss the multiple types of group texts. These texts are classified into 3, based on the recipient’s device: Group iMessage, Group SMS, and Group MMS. The messages app will automatically convert them based on the context.
This type is arguably the best of the three group text types. It acts just like normal iMessage, except now, you can talk to multiple people at the same time. It will let you send texts, images, videos, sketches, etc. Everyone on the group will be able to see each others’ messages and respond to it. Group iMessage is the only group that lets you name the group and it also lets you add or remove participants. Another thing exclusive to this type is that all texts will be sent in a blue bubble. It also lets you mute notifications and will also let you leave the group if you want to. The messages will go through Apple and will be encrypted end-to-end. However, Group iMessage is only possible if all of your friends, family, and coworkers use iPhones or any other Apple device.
How to Name The iMessage Group
If you have multiple groups, then naming those groups becomes a handy way to identify them. Note that this will only work if all the recipients are using iPhones and other Apple devices.
- After you send a group text, press tap the “i” icon on the top right corner of the screen.
- Add the name of the group under the Name field and hit done. That’s it.
Add or Remove Recipients
This feature comes in handy when you want to add someone new to the group or want to just kick someone out for being rowdy. It’s a pretty easy thing to do but it’s only available on Group iMessages.
To add someone, all you have to do is:
- Open the group text.
- Click on the “i” button on the top right corner.
- Under the list of the group participants, Tap “+ Add Contact”.
- Then choose the contact you wanna add and hit Done.
To remove someone from the group:
- Open the Group chat.
- Click on the “i” button on the top right corner.
- Find the contact you want to remove and then swipe left on it.
- Hit Remove and then press Done.
If your circle of friends includes non-Apple users, then you’re outta luck. Even if a single participant uses an Android, the Messages app will not let you create a Group iMessage. Group MMS lets you send pictures and videos to all of the recipients, but it won’t let you Name or customize the list of participants after you send a group text. However, you can mute notifications.
This group will only let you send text messages to other people but you can’t send any pictures or videos. Moreover, the other recipients won’t be able to see the responses from the other group members, only you get to see them.
How to Create a Group Text on an iPhone With WhatsApp
WhatsApp lets you create a group that has the same benefits as the Group iMessage type and Androids are also allowed to participate. This only works if all of your group participants have WhatsApp installed on their devices.
- Download, install and open up WhatsApp.
- Select Chat at the bottom of the screen and then tap “New Group” at the top right corner.
- Group Subject is the group name. The size of the group name needs to be less than 25 characters.
- Add your contacts by pressing the “+” icon and voila! you have a group.
Create a Group Chat on an iPhone With Shortcuts
The Shortcuts app is a nifty little tool that lets you do a lot more with your iPhone with lesser effort. It will easily let you send a personalized text message to a lot of people at the same time. You can check out this app in action in the video down below.
You can download this app by hitting on this link.
Well then, now you know how to create a group chat on an iPhone and all the important features that come with it. Hopefully, you found our article helpful and if you have any doubts or suggestions, please let us know in the comments section down below and we will get to you as soon as possible.