Setting up a passcode is pretty important these days since privacy is a major concern in today’s time. Although if we talk about the iPhone passcode protection, well it is one of the most advanced protection available on any other personal handheld device and is mainly used to protect your data and personal details stored on your device from stranger’s eyes.
Although having a passcode on your device can be an advantage and can be a disadvantage if you seem to forget it. Since you are left with no other option but to restore your device to its factory settings. Forgot iPhone passcode? Read this article in detail to get to know how to get into a locked iPhone.
Although Apple seems to provide you with some attempts before disabling it permanently so if somehow you remember your passcode you can easily use it to get into your iPhone but you will be greeted by the message stating “iPhone is Disabled”.
Therefore the article has carried out research as well as solutions in regards to the same to help you tackle the problem if you find yourself indulged into one.
So, Let’s get started.
As explained above you can forget your password easily, although if you try too many attempts in regards to the same you will be greeted by different stages of “iPhone disabled problems” hence stated below is the detailed description in regards to the same.
- 1 Different Stages Of iPhone Getting Disabled
- 2 Is There Any Way You’ll Be Able To Back Up The iPhone?
- 3 How To Access iPhone If You Forgot Its Passcode?
Different Stages Of iPhone Getting Disabled
Therefore, listed below are the different stages of iPhone getting disabled, look at it once:
- 1 -5 attempts of entring passcode, the iPhone is safe and not at all get disabled.
- Although, the 6th attempt is responsible for it to get disabled for about 1 minute.
- The 7th attempt and your iPhone is disabled for 5 minutes.
- 8th attempt well, iPhone gets disabled for 15 minutes straight.
- 9th attempt and it’s disabled for about 1 hour.
- Well, the 10th attempt and your iPhone will show the message stating “iPhone is disabled connect to iTunes “, meaning that iPhone is disabled permanently.
Is There Any Way You’ll Be Able To Back Up The iPhone?
Well, if your iPhone is already been disabled then sorry to tell you that you are already out of options to back up your iPhone because if your iPhone is disabled and you’re thinking that wether you can unlock it or not well there is no way that the disabled iPhone is going to get unlocked. Hence, giving you the answer to the question.
Although if you still haven’t disabled your iPhone and somehow remembers the password, there might be a chance for you to back up the device but if you remember the password there might not be a need of backing it up although it is suggested to back up your device since you may find yourself indulged into this kind of situation.
Apart from that, some people facing this problem generally think that geeks present there at the Apple store have certain software, which can unlock your disabled iPhone without even erasing any data from it, well keep in mind that geeks at Apple store will also restore your iPhone to its factory settings, meaning that they will also erase the data present on the iPhone, but will surely help you set up the iPad from the beginning.
Meaning that you will be paying for the traveling cost as well as for the process you could have carried out on your own and would have been able to save some extra bucks for the party you always wanted to go to or for some stuff you wanted to buy. Now for the question “can you backup your disabled iPhone?” again the answer is no you can’t. You simply cannot back up your iPhone at this moment since the iPhone won’t allow you to access the iPhone’s feature, so if your iPhone is permanently disabled than probably its too late for you to back it up, and the only way to enter the device is to restore it to its factory settings.
How To Access iPhone If You Forgot Its Passcode?
Listed below are the methods you can use to access your iPhone in case you forgot iPhone Passcode.
Method 1: Erasing Your iPad Using iTunes (DFU restore)
The first method which is generally suggested by Apple or any other experts is of restoring your iPhone with the help of iTunes which in other term is called DFU restore. But before, proceeding with this step you might want to keep in mind that this will set your iPhone to its factory settings or in other words you’ll be going down with a full DFU restore of your iPhone meaning that you will be erasing everything present there on the device including your passcodes and personal data.
Although, if you are wondering what people or in technical terms “technicians” at the Apple store might be able to fix it without erasing your data, well you are wrong, every iPhone which are generally found to be disabled or if you forgot iPhone passcode, the geeks at Apple store themselves will restore your iPhone to its factory settings since there is no other way to unlock the device. Although, they might assist you in setting up a new iPhone later on.
Therefore, you will, later on, be pretty disappointed with yourself as they will charge a hefty amount for a fix that you might have been able to do at home yourself.
So, simply save some bucks by performing the DFU restore of your iPhone by yourself. Just, follow the 5 simple steps listed below:
1. First, plug in your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes doesn’t matter whether the iPhone is switched on or off.
2. Now, Press and hold the power button and home button of your iPhone for about 8 seconds.
3. Once the 8 seconds are done, release the power button but make sure to keep holding the home button. Keep the hold on the home button until you see the iTunes displaying a message “iTunes has detected an iPhone in a recovery mode”.
4. Simply, let go of the home button now, your iPhone’s screen should be completely black meaning that now you are in a DFU mode (If it’s not, you have to try again the whole method from the beginning).
5. Now, there is a restore iPhone option in the iTunes window, simply click on that and now your iPhone will be restored to its factory settings.
Well, that should do the trick and you will be able to enter your iPhone with ease. Now set up your iPhone just the way you set it up for the first time when you first took it out if the box. Although if you simply don’t have access to the iTunes you might want to try the next method in the list.
Note: For iPhone X, Xs and Xs Max, as well as iPhone 8 and 8 plus a similar process, will be carried with these devices as well but instead of pressing the home button, they have to press the power button or in Apple terms “Side Button”.
Method 2: Restoring Your iPhone Using iCloud Services
Another method of restoring your iPhone to its factory settings is through iCloud services. Although this, in particular, will require your Apple ID and Password. Simply follow up the steps listed below to restore your iPhone using iCloud services. First, you have to visit the iCloud.com then follow up the steps stated below:
- First, simply sign in to the site using Apple ID and passcode.
- Once, logged in, simply click on “Find my iPhone”.
- Now, tap on the all devices button located at the top of the screen.
- After that, choose which of the displayed devices you want to “Erase” using the iCloud account.
- Simply, click on the “Erase iPhone” present in front of the desired iPhone connected to the particular iCloud account.
- And, That’s that you’re done with it, your iPhone will be erased completely.
As of the above step, you can erase your iPhone simply by clicking on the Erase iPhone button, this will keep you from indulging yourself in the hassle of connecting your iPhone to the computer or in case you don’t have any type of access to iTunes although you should be aware of your Apple ID and its Credentials in order to erase your iPhone using iCloud services.
Method 3: Resetting Your iPhone With The Hard Reset
The last method includes hard resetting your iPhone, therefore, in such conditions people in apple forums say that one should simply try using it to fix the problem.
Note: Although people on the Apple forum confirms that there is a way to remove the “iPhone is disabled” error or in cases where you seem to forgot the passcode of your iPhone simply try the “hard resetting” method and as per the video tutorial, the method seems to work, but the suggested method is to restore your iPhone to its factory settings.
Follow the steps listed below to hard reset your iPhone:
If You Have iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X, Xr, or Xs and Xs Max
1. First press and quickly release the volume up button.
2. Now again do the same thing but this time press and quickly release the volume down button.
3. And at last press and hold down your iPhone’s power button on the side till an apple logo appear’s on your iPhone’s screen. After the logo appears, you can let go of the power button.
If You Have An iPhone 7 or 7 Plus
1. You have to press both the power button and volume down button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears on your screen. Once, the logo appears you can let go of the buttons.
If You Have An iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, SE or any Other Older Model
1. Press and hold onto the power button and Home button simultaneously and keep on holding it until the Apple logo appears on your screen, once the apple logo appears you can let go of the buttons.
Now, once you’ve done with the hard reset part, well if your problem is solved good for you, but somehow if it doesn’t work, you might want to follow up on the methods listed above.
As for the final words, Forgetting a passcode is a common problem, although to tackle the problem in the iPhone is not that quite simple. It requires you to restore your iPhone to factory settings to get access to your device. Although you have to keep in mind that iPhone does provide its users with different attempts before disabling it and couple more attempts after disabling it but if you keep on entering incorrect passcode well your iPhone will be disabled permanently, ultimately leaving you with no choice but to restore your device to its factory settings.
If you have turned on ‘Find My iPhone’ on your device, it is another smarter way to get out of forgot iPhone passcode situation.
But due to some reason if you think Apple store geeks can do it for you without erasing your data, well ill just say that you will be spending your money in traveling as well as paying for the process you could have carried out on your own.