Imagine this: you are looking for study materials online and you are then, suddenly bombarded with random ads on your screen. If this is an issue for you, then you are reading the right article. We will help you deal with pop ups on Mac.
In this article, we are going to take a look at what pop-up ads are, whether they are harmful, and what you can do to disable them. We will also take a look at enabling wanted pop-ups on Mac. It’s a fairly simple process and it shouldn’t take a lot of time.
Ready? Let’s get started.
What are Pop Ups on Mac?
Pop-up ads are the random advertisements thrown at your face while you’re browsing the Internet. They can appear as offers, notices, or as a new tab. They are usually unwanted and they can sometimes be phishing attempts. I think it’s safe to say those pop-up ads aren’t liked by a lot of people. They are intrusive at best and can be dangerous at worst.
You should be especially wary of ads that claim that you’ve won prizes. These ads are notorious for scamming people out of their money and kids especially should be taught not to click on them. Never share any personal information if you ever check out any of these ads.
However, there are a few wanted apps that are a part of reputed websites and services. They provide news updates and other content updates you might be interested in.
How to Manage Pop-Ups on Mac?
In this section, we are going to take a look at how to enable or disable the pop ups on Mac. We recommend that you follow the order of this list because it’s ranked from the most likely culprits for pop-ups to the least. Let’s jump right into it.
Method 1: Change Pop-Up Settings
You have to mostly change browser settings so we are going to take a look at two browsers: Chrome and Safari. The steps for other browsers will also be very similar.
To disable all pop-ups on Safri, just follow these steps:
- Fire up Safari.
- Click on Safari at the top left corner of your current browser tab and then select Preferences.
- Select the Websites tab.
- Under General header on the left-hand side, select Pop-up Windows.
- On the right corner, you can find “When visiting other websites. Click on the drop-down menu and select “Block and Notify”. This will block all of the pop-ups on Safari.
To disable/enable specific pop-ups on Safari:
- Open up Safari.
- Hit Safari at the upper-left part of your screen and then select Preferences.
- Under the Websites tab, select Pop-up Windows.
- Select the websites you want to enable/disable and then hit the dropdown menu to select Allow/Block.
Disable/enable pop-ups on Chrome
- Fire up Chrome.
- Select the Tools menu on the top right corner of your tab(three dark lines) and then select Settings from the drop-down.
- Scroll down and at the bottom of the Settings page, you can select “Show Advanced Settings”.
- Click on the “Content Settings” option under the Privacy header.
- You can choose to show all the pop-ups and or block them here.
- You can allow a few exceptions by hitting the “Manage exceptions” option.
Method 2: Disable Extensions
Some extensions show pop-up ads whether you like it or not. Disabling unwanted or unused extensions can make pop up ads go away.
To do this on Safari, just follow these instructions:
- Open up Safari and select Preferences by clicking on Safari at the top left corner of your tab.
- Select the Extensions menu.
- From the list of extensions, you select the ones you want to be uninstalled and then just click on Uninstall.
Method 3: Uninstalling Programs
If you are still seeing pop-up ads on Mac after all of the above steps, then there is a good chance that a program is doing this. Try to remember if you’ve recently installed any program recently and try to determine whether the pop-up ads started flowing in after it’s installation. You can also uninstall anything that you don’t trust to see if the problem goes away. After you determine which software is causing this issue, follow these steps.
- Make sure that the program you want to delete is closed.
- Click the hard disk icon and then open up the Applications folder.
- If the Application is inside a folder, try to find an uninstaller and then open that up and the, follow the instructions. If there’s no uninstaller, drag the app to the trash.
- Empty the trash and that’s all there is to it.
Method 4: Update Your Browser
Make sure your browsers and other programs are up to date. These updates can bring in new and improved ways of managing pop-ups and can be a great help. Update your software using the Mac App Store. If you have third-party software that isn’t available on the App Store, try getting the updates fro the original developer’s website. This way, you can be sure that the new version of your software is going to be authentic.
That’s all you need to know about pop up ads on Mac and how to enable/disable them. Hopefully, this article was helpful in getting rid of these annoying intrusions. If you have any doubts or suggestions, please let me know in the comments section down below and I will try to address them as soon as I can.
Also check: Unlock a Disabled iPhone without iTunes